domingo, 6 de julio de 2014

Spanish Lit Month 2014: 7/1-7/5 Links

 Jorge Luis Borges & Adolfo Bioy Casares

As promised, here's the first week's collection of links for Spanish Lit Month 2014 being hosted by Stu of Winstonsdad's Blog and me.  Thanks to all of you who have contributed a post or two so far or who are planning to do so later in the month.  Feel free to let me know if I missed any submissions, and in the meantime rest assured that any SLM posts published between 7/6 and 7/12 will be rounded up here next Sunday.  Haven't committed to participating yet but are thinking about it?  Please join us!  You can satisfy our exacting admission requirements by contributing as little as one measly post dedicated to any work of Spanish-language literature (novel, poem, short story, etc.)* that strikes your fancy.  Happy reading!  *Works of Catalan-language literature may be substituted by any/all interested in doing so.  Also, some of the links below originally appeared in June because a couple of bloggers were apparently just too excited to wait until July to get started!

Bellezza, Dolce Bellezza
The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vásquez

Caroline, Beauty Is a Sleeping Cat

Grant, 1streading's Blog
Outlaws by Javier Cercas

JacquiWine, JacquiWine's Journal
The Infatuations by Javier Marías

Karen, BookerTalk
The Infinite Plan by Isabel Allende

Miguel, St. Orberose
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Richard, Caravana de recuerdos
¡Bienvenidos a Spanish Lit Month 2014!
Continuación de ideas diversas by César Aira
Crónicas de Bustos Domecq by Jorge Luis Borges and Adolfo Bioy Casares

Rise, in lieu of a field guide
Ang Kuwento ng Haring Tulala by Gonzalo Torrente Ballester
The Tenant and The Motive by Javier Cercas
Shadow Without a Name by Ignacio Padilla

Scott, seraillon
Things Look Different in the Light by Medardo Fraile

Stu, Winstonsdad's Blog
Liveforever by Andrés Caicedo
The Family of Pascual Duarte by Camilo José Cela

Tony Messenger, Messengers Booker (and more)
Firefly by Severo Sarduy


11 comentarios:

  1. Wonderful links, Richard, which I'll be sure to visit.

    I read The Sound of Things Falling for Spanish Lit month, the first of many works I plan to read. The link is here:

    http://www.dolcebellezza.net/2014/06/the-sound-of-things-falling-by-juan.html#.U7oBVH-9KK0

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Sorry I missed that late June post, Bellezza, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I hope you enjoy the rest of the links once you get a chance to visit them--quite a variety there, and yours adds to it. Cheers!

      Borrar
    2. I'm sorry to be just a little outside of the box by posting in June. I guess I was trying together a head start with Paris in July and the Japanese Literature Challenge...so many good events for this summer! I still have four Spanish lit books on my table, hoping to get to all of them. xo

      Borrar
    3. Bellezza, no apologies necessary--not a problem at all. Thanks for being so ambitious about your Spanish Lit Month reading given all your other obligations, though!

      Borrar
  2. Good to see a variety of books here :) My first post will be up in a few days' time, with another to come next week...

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Looking forward to your choices, Tony. I might just keep reading Argentinean authors since everybody else seems to have the variety thing covered so far!

      Borrar
  3. A great selection of books here, and I've already added the Fraile to my wishlist. My first review should be up on Thursday, with another couple to follow over the next few weeks.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. JacquiWine, people seem to love the Fraile! Hope it lives up to the hype for you when you get around to it. In the meantime, I look forward to your choices and to seeing what you make of Enrique Vila-Matas' Never Any End to Paris for Paris in July (Bellezza spilled the beans on that one). Cheers!

      Borrar
    2. Great! I also posted my review of Javier Marias's The Infatuations at the end of June. I read it a few months ago, but just added it to my blog at the end of June as a bit of a taster for Spanish Lit Month. There's a link here (if of interest):

      http://jacquiwine.wordpress.com/2014/06/26/the-infatuations-by-javier-marias-tr-by-margaret-jull-costa/

      Borrar
    3. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, JacquiWine, but I just added your review of the Javier Marías novel (great book) to the list. Will be by to check out your Spanish Lit Month reviews before too long!

      Borrar
    4. Thank you, very kind of you to add a link to my Infatuations review to your list! And thank you for your comments on my 'Nada' review - very much appreciated!
      Spanish Lit Month is going very well, I think.

      Borrar